- The annual proxy for this home improvement and appliance retailer had the following proposals:
- Proforma votes on directors, appointment of auditors, and “say-on-pay” advisory vote
- Shareholder vote regarding lowering threshold for special meetings.
Magni voted as follows:
- Magni voted for the proforma proposals.
–Directors. The board has a majority of independent directors and some have CEO/CFO experience with other companies. The compensation of directors is disclosed with a meaningful portion in equity where the equity has restrictions to align director incentives with long-term value creation. The compensation levels are set using a benchmarking process.
–Auditors. There appear to be no controversies with the financial statements of the company.
-“Say-on-pay” Advisory Vote. The proxy materials demonstrated that the board has more than considered shareholder feedback on executive compensation. In addition, the proxy materials disclosed the benchmarking done on executive compensation, including listing the peer group used in the benchmarking.
- Magni voted for shareholder proposal on lowering threshold for special meetings. Strong shareholder relationships are part of good governance. Shareholders can be more engaged and feel more respected when the threshold for calling special meetings is low.